Blessed is the Mom who Clings
“Her children arise and call her blessed.” Proverbs 31:28
Parents hold the awesome responsibility of training their children in many areas, including spiritual truths. What is the spiritual role that brings our children to call us blessed? Where do our wisdom, strength, and perseverance come from? Parenting is both challenging and rewarding. How do we know we are doing it right? I searched scripture to find answers. The verses below read, “Blessed is the man”. I know in God’s terms, He is referring to humanity, so I took the liberty of inserting MOM in place of MAN. (Dads, replace “mom” with “dad”.)
Blessed is the Mom …
- whose delight is in the law of the Lord. (Psalm 1:2)
- who puts her trust in the Lord. (Psalm 2:12)
- whose sins are forgiven. (Psalm 32:1)
- who perseveres. (James 1:12)
- whose steps are ordered by the Lord. (Psalm 37:23)
- who treasures the lives of her children. (Luke 2:51)
- who disciplines with consistency. (Proverbs 29:15)
As moms, we cling to the Lord for life, sustenance, and direction; our children cling to us for the same. They watch and learn from our example. The child benefits from our clinging to the Lord because she is a direct recipient of the Lord’s teachings coming through us! Picture it – the Lord leads the way, the mom clings to him, and the child clings to her.
As long as the mom follows the Lord and clings to Him, she will not be led astray. Same for the child; as long as the child clings to the mom who is clinging to the Lord, the child learns the ways of the Lord.
Blessed is the Child Whose Mom …
- delights in the law of the Lord, for the child will learn to read and study God’s Word.
- puts her trust in the Lord, for the child will learn that the Lord is trustworthy and faithful.
- walks in forgiveness, for the child will learn about God’s grace and mercy.
- allows God to order her steps, for the child will learn to yield her life and direction to the Lord’s guidance.
- perseveres, for the child will learn to press through tough situations and lessons, never giving up.
- treasures the life of her child, for the child will grow with love, correction, guidance, wisdom, and understanding.
- disciplines with consistency, for the child will learn the difference between right and wrong.
Blessed is the Child …
When the child loosens the grip from her mother to find her own way, she knows to transfer her clinging to God. (It may take a while to see this happen, but continue to pray and encourage her in the ways of the Lord.)
- whose delight is in the law of the Lord.
- who puts her trust in the Lord.
- that forgives and walks in freedom.
- who perseveres.
- whose steps are led by the Lord.
- who treasures her own life.
- who receives discipline and teaching.
Generational Blessings …
The beauty of living for Christ passes down through our generations. The Bible says:
- The righteous mom walks in her integrity; her children are blessed.
- The righteous mom is ever merciful and her descendants are blessed.
- Blessed is the mom who fears the Lord and delights in His word. Her descendants will be mighty on earth, her generations blessed.
When you live according to God’s Word, your children will indeed arise and call you blessed. They will honor and respect you. The blessings of your obedience and your faith will bless your children with their spiritual inheritance.
You ask, “What if I can’t do all of these things listed above?” Keep the courage; your life journey is day by day, step by step. Ask God for His wisdom, understanding, strength, and help; He will lead you in being the best mom ever for your children.
Be blessed, be encouraged, be clingy.